In the engine, the gasket is placed between the cylinder head and cylinder block to prevent leakage, to ensure metallic tight fit joint and also to maintain compression in the cylinder. The gasket should be able to withstand the high pressure and extreme temperature.
Gaskets are found in
- Between the cylinder head and the cylinder block
- Between crankcase and oil pan.
- In the cylinder block and manifold.
Requirement/properties of the gasket as follows
- Conformity: The gaskets should conform to the mating surfaces which may have roughness or warpage.
- Resistance: It should have resistance to high pressures, extreme temperature and vibrations.
- Impermeability: The gasket must be impermeable to the fluid.
- Resistance to chemical attack: The gasket should have resistant to the chemicals such as fuel, coolant, products of combustion and engine oil.
- Provision of apertures: The gasket must have apertures for any studs, bolts, opening etc.,
Read more: TYPES OF GASKETS: USES OF GASKET IN CAR ENGINE